Monday, December 24, 2007

Online Comics

I can't get excited at the concept of reading comics online, because that's just not how I like to experience them. Before too long, the people like me will be gone, though, and each new generation will probably enjoy everything that way more and more, until eventually paper comics, paper books and anything else paper-based will be a thing of the past. I suppose that'll be a good thing from an environmental point-of-view, although all of the power consumption required for those electronic devices can't be good...

Anyway, I re-discovered Understanding Comics author Scott McCloud's online comic for Zot! this morning. He did this project a couple years ago, I think, and I started reading it as each new weekly installment came out. But then I'd forget to check for a new episode, or I would check but he wouldn't have put one out, and then I just stopped looking altogether. Today I saw a link to it, and of course it's long since been finished so I was able to read the entire 'comic' in one go. It's a cute little story, very typical of what the Zot! series was like (which I have a complete run of, in paper form!) If you'd like to see how McCloud formatted the work for reading in a browser (rather than just producing it in a regular comic format and expecting people to click through the pages), you can see it here. I'm not sure if others have followed his lead, or whether those producing online comics are adhering to the more traditional structure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it will be several generations yet, if ever, before readers switch from paper. I can't imagine the appeal of a used e.book store!