Monday, December 10, 2007

Of Comics And Toilet Seats

Here I am inside one of the most unique comic stores I've ever been to, Isotope The Comic Book Lounge, in San Francisco. And yes, those items lining the top of the wall to the left are, indeed, toilet seats featuring comic artwork on them! The proprietor has been collecting and displaying them for years, ever since some misguided visiting comic illuminatus took it upon himself to decorate the owner's home toilet seat that way. His one rule is that anyone who provides one has to have been inside the store at some point.

Among the celebrity toilet seat artists shown to me were Jim Lee, Warren Ellis (no artwork but rather a piece of script), and Eric Powell, although only about 1/3 of his total collection is up at any one time (the rest, apparently, adorn his walls at home). That's James, the owner, to the far left (in the purple striped jacket!)

This was by far the most upscale comic store I've ever visited, but was sadly lacking in back issues so I contented myself with a couple of current comic titles that I haven't been buying regularly.

No comments: