Tuesday, June 05, 2007

For Absent Friends

"Passing by the padlocked swings,
the roundabout still turning,
ahead they see a small girl
on her way home with a pram."
- "For Absent Friends", Genesis (from Nursery Cryme)

I had a dream last night that Tammy came home early from Europe, after only about two weeks of her planned eight. She explained to me that that was all she could take, before the homesickness got to her. Then she got really sad and said she wanted to know if she'd ever be able to go for a longer European vacation, after having to cut this one so short. I told her that of course she could, because it got easier to be away from home the more you did it.

Which is a really strange thing for me to say in a dream, since it's not at all how I feel. If anything, I'm finding it harder, the older I get. It's Tammy that's getting better at it, as far as I can tell. And Vicki has never had any trouble with homesickness to begin with!

So I don't really know what to make of the dream, except that obviously I must be missing Tammy, as she nears the start of her third week abroad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aw, cute. i miss you too!