Saturday, June 02, 2007

My Mid-Year Resolution

I don't know how long it'll last, but I decided this past week that I really need to start challenging people - including myself - to defend their positions more ably. Specifically, I get a lot of people making claims to me, usually about Agile-related activities, that are quoted as fact, when really they're simply opinions.

I fell into the trap of believing one such non-fact over the past couple weeks, and it was only after I thought about it for a few days that I realized that I could easily check its veracity myself (with just a few hours' research). When I finally got the time on Friday to do the actual number crunching, I found that a glaring error had occurred, because of the way the data was being presented. Compounding my complicity in this was the revelation that I'd warned those responsible for the data about the potential for this misrepresentation to happen, and then still fell for it like a rube, months later. Being tricked by something that I'd previously foreseen as an accident waiting to happen makes me feel very, very stupid. As well as, determined not to let it happen again!

So if you work with me, and you thrust something unsubstantiated in my face, be prepared for me to come back with, "Prove it!"

No comments: