Wednesday, June 06, 2007

My Subconscious Is So Much Smarter Than I Am!

Last night, I had a wicked stomach ache shortly after going to bed, and was in discomfort for a good portion of the night. It was a really bad time, because not only was I dealing with a sore tummy, but I knew I had the all-afternoon Story Point Workshop to lead at work, and I was going to have to do it on almost no sleep. Arggh.

Eventually, around 3:30, I thought to get up and take a couple Ibuprofen pills, to numb some of the pain. An hour or so later, I must've fallen asleep, because I had a very vivid dream. In it, I went over to visit a couple who Vicki and I used to be very close friends with, but have lost touch with in recent years. Before we moved houses, and I changed jobs, we used to socialize with this other couple once or twice a week, and I would've said the husband was my best friend, after Vicki. But then we drifted apart, and I haven't seen either of them in probably three or four years now.

In the dream, I let myself into their house - I used to even have a key to their home, and they had one to ours! - and was looking forward to surprising them by showing up unexpectedly, and catching up. But when I got to their dining room, they were sitting at the table, candles lit, holding hands. As soon as I saw that, I thought, "Oh no.. I've come over to visit them on their 20th wedding anniversary! How stupid am I!" Embarrassed, I tried to quietly sneak back out of their house, without being seen. But the wife of the couple saw me, and her expression showed how disgusted she was that someone had ruined their wedding anniversary.

After I woke up, I was thinking about that dream, and how weird it was that I'd dream about them, when we haven't seen them in so long. Their names do come up occasionally between Vicki and I, but not in any significant way. Then I thought about it a bit more, and realized, "Hey, today is their wedding anniversary! The 6th day of the 6th month! That's when they got married!" (I was in their wedding party.) Then I thought, "What year would that have been?" It didn't take long to remember that it was the June after I started at the bank, which would make it 1987. Holy crap! Today is their 20th wedding anniversary!

If only my brain worked that well when I'm awake!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spooky