Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Adventures In Hardcover Land

The good news is that the hardcover version of the Agile book arrived today. The bad news is that neither Vicki nor I are thrilled with how it came out. Basically the text isn't centered (top to bottom) on the page like I would've expected. I guess it's my fault for not cluing in to the fact that the different aspect ratios between the two formats chosen would mean that, if one looked good (like the softcover did) then the other probably wouldn't (as the hardcover does not). We considered and played around with various options tonight, including re-formatting the Word document to accommodate a second set of dimensions for the hardcover source, and simply foregoing hardcover copies entirely. In the end, I'm leaning toward going with a hardcover format that's almost identical to the softcover one that we like, even though that's not my first choice. It's a little more money but seems like the solution with the highest likelihood of being satisfactory to me.

One of the interesting results of this experience is that both Vicki and I looked at the format that I'd chosen for the hardcover copy and thought that it would be perfect for a collection of short stories! So when I start that next project (probably sometime in the next few months), I'll likely do so with this format in mind. So it wasn't a complete waste!

No comments: