Thursday, March 20, 2008

Quite Possibly The Craziest Development Ever

Today, Vicki informed me (via e-mail) that she had a cheque for $20 made out to me, as an example of something "guaranteed to make you smile." Because of the amount involved, I surmised that she'd conned some co-worker of hers into buying a copy of the still-as-yet unpublished Agile book of mine. That would've been surprising enough, but then I found out that no, it wasn't anyone she worked with. Instead it was the husband of her massage therapist!

Apparently Vicki had spent much of her massage time today talking up The Real-Life Adventures of AgileMan (Lessons Learned in Going Agile) (presumably as a way of killing the time) only to find out that her therapist's spouse was dealing with leadership challenges in his workplace! For whatever reason, the two women came to the conclusion that my book would somehow be helpful to this poor soul. So, by the time Vicki went to pay for her visit, the historic $20 cheque was waiting for her at reception!

So let's consider just how unlikely this turn of events really was:
  • the sale was "sight unseen" since Vicki didn't even have one of the print draft copies with her
  • the customer wasn't the least bit interested in Agile or (as far as I know) software development
  • I don't even have a "publication date" just yet as I wait for the final "final" draft to arrive
  • she was getting a massage, for Pete's sake!!
Now, it's certainly possible that this is simply a "pity purchase" of the sort that can happen when the pathetic 8-year-old shows up at your door selling some crap you'd never actually use in order to pay for her class trip... but it's still a sale! My first ever!!

Now I just need a book in order to complete the transaction...

No comments: