Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

The Good: After a lazy weekend spent in Louisville, Kentucky, my latest copy of the Agile book decided to make its way to our house today. The things we were looking for in this version - how a particular font worked in the printed form, for example - all came out well. Now I just have to wait on the copy I ordered yesterday as a potential "lock down" copy, and if it's good, then I can place the big order.

The Bad: Today was the sort of day where I spend most of my time wondering why I even bothered to go into work. Some statements were made today, by people in fairly senior positions, that made me question whether we were in our 20th month of Agile, or 20th day! Particularly frustrating was the notion that Feature Teams could make changes (fix bugs) without having their automated tests up and running. Hello?! Have we really come so short a distance in all that time?

The Ugly:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re The Bad: it wasn't just you. In fact, I think I heard that same question (in different contexts) from six or seven people. On the upside, two others were also asked: How do we change that? And, more pertinently, can we change that?

The Ugly: the image or the story? I'd have to agree on the former, and can't speak to the latter.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I'm glad to hear people were discussing solutions (yay!) but as Agile Manager, it depresses me no end that we still have decision-makers in our company who don't understand how this is all supposed to work.

As for the Ugly: just the cover image itself. The comic in question (Superman/Batman Annual # 2, I think) is due out tomorrow.

cjguerra said...

Re The Bad: I think that this is a serious test of agile principals and what I'm waiting to see is what the reactions are. That will be the measure of how agile the company as a whole is.