Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Couple Of Wild Rides

Today's decision to ride my bicycle to work was all about the environment. Vicki wasn't heading into work today which meant that my commuting option wasn't there. However, Vicki was still perfectly happy to give me a ride there in the morning, in order to keep the car for something she was doing later in the day. Unfortunately, that meant a completely wasted round trip downtown which I didn't want on my Eco-conscience, so as far as I was concerned I was either taking the bus or riding my bike. About the only knock against biking was the temperature (around -2 or -3) but that seemed within my threshold, so off I went!

I suspect that the wind this morning made it feel cooler than it actually was, but boy that was one cold ride! It didn't help that my iPod conked out 10 minutes in (low battery) after which I became even more aware of just how frigid it was!

Then a snowstorm (mixed with rain) moved into the area in the afternoon, and it looked dicey for making the return trip on two wheels. But when radar showed that the worst of the system had passed by, I decided to throw caution to the wind. Turns out that that wasn't all that was thrown to the wind, though, as I had some of the worst "turbulence" I've ever seen before I got home. It was the sort of crosswind that threatens to blow you off your bike every once in a while, mixed in with the snow, rain and freezing rain that was alternately coming down on me with every revolution of the tires. I'm embarrassed to admit that this particular ride took me about 40 minutes to complete, which represents a more than 50% increase over my usual time! I was soaked, I was exhausted, and I was cold... but I did save two round trips for our car, and that counts for a lot with me!

No comments: