Saturday, May 17, 2008

Games, Games And More Games!

I finished Dark Sector last night on the PS/3, and then launched into BioShock on the XBox 360 this afternoon. When I say that I "finished" the former, though, what I really mean is that I got to the big battle at the end of Dark Sector, spent several minutes defeating the 3-headed monster only to then discover that I had a few seconds in which to kill the mastermind or else I'd inexplicably drop over dead. Frustrating? Oh yeah! I checked the walkthru site I'd been using, because it seemed so incomprehensible that I would just die like that, but yup, apparently that's how it works! I tried my luck a couple more times with the same result and then said, "OK, that's enough of that stupidity!" I know from the walkthru that I was at the end of the game, so I called it quits at that point. Up to that point it had been a pretty enjoyable game, so I'd still recommend it.

I'm getting to try BioShock courtesy of McChicken, who convinced me to give it a chance despite my lukewarm reaction to the demo when I'd played it a couple months ago. After a few hours of game time today, I'm happy to say that he was right: the real thing is much better than the demo! Vicki even stopped by for the last hour or so, and offered up all kinds of advice and encouragement. There's enough going on in the story, and in the environment that the game takes place in, to keep both of us interested! Nice recommendation (and loaner), McChicken!

I've offered him Dark Sector if he wants to try his hand with the glaive, so maybe I'll be able to return the favour soon. I've also just downloaded the demo for Haze, which I noted recently I was thinking of buying when it launches on Tuesday. That'll be one of my "chores" for the rest of the long weekend: check out whether I think it's a game worth spending $70 on or not!

No comments: