Monday, May 26, 2008

No Assembly Required (But Some Pieces May Be Missing)

Vicki bought her first "21st century printer" this past weekend: it faxes, it scans, it copies, and, oh yes, it even prints! Pretty exciting to be able to get such a powerful machine for just over $100, and so tonight I thought I'd get it all working for her while she was out at a cooking class.

And then I discovered that it requires a USB 2.0 cable to connect her PC to the newfangled device, and which doesn't come with the printer... and which I don't have one of sitting around! I do have a many-pin connector cable that would've come with the last printer we bought, way back in the far flung 20th century, when they realized that you didn't really want to have buy extra parts in order to use your new toys!

So much for having it set up for the wife when she gets home tonight; instead I get to tell her that she needs to spend another $20 or more before she can use it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, but it is the thought that counts. I was very excited to see it out of the box and sitting on the printer table as though it might print!

It does seem a bit like selling a refrigerator without any shelves though.

Boneman8 said...

Yes...it's a pain. It's like selling a digital camera with no memory card (or something so useless that you can only actually store 1 picture!).