Tuesday, May 13, 2008

More Video Game Musings

I've been complaining lately about the PS/3 and Playstation Network not having the seamless online-talk capability that XBox Live boasts, but then last night I noticed that there now is a chat function on the PS/3 dashboard. I need a buddy to test it out with, so I can't say yet whether it's any good, but at least it has potential. A chat feature that's outside the games themselves - but still supported while you're in an online game - would make a big difference; I just don't know yet that that's what's being offered. It may simply provide talk capability within the dashboard itself, which wouldn't be all that appealing.

Skimming the upcoming video game releases, I noticed that Haze is scheduled to come out on PS/3 a week from today. There's been a fair bit of anticipatory buzz around Haze because it promises something new: an in-game drug (Nectar) that changes the player's perception of what's going on around him or her (as well as enhancing some capabilities)! While that's interesting, I'm more curious to find out if this particular First Person Shooter has online Co-op support in Campaign mode. This preview suggests that it should but stops short of promising the combination of online, co-op and campaign. This one, geared specifically toward multiplayer mode, doesn't seem to mention it. Considering the fun that I've had with McChicken and others, playing through the Halo 3 story "with a friend or two," I'd probably consider buying the game just for that one feature, if it had it.

It's funny how I get in these moods where I'm suddenly more interested in gaming than normal. I'm not sure what causes it, but I'm there right now!

No comments: