Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Phillies Win Championship In Weird Finale

3 innings of play tonight was all it took the Phillies to win the World Series, thanks to a suspended game 48 hours ago. We started off in the bottom of the 6th, and Tampa continued the trend of having to play catchup when they gave up a run to "start" tonight's mini-game. The Rays had one more comeback in them, scoring in the top of the 7th to re-tie things up at 3-3, but then the Phillies went ahead in the bottom of that inning... and this time for good, eventually winning a 4-3 nail-biter.

Now that the city of Philadelphia has ended their 25-year professional championship drought, I don't even know... who now holds that dubious honour? Which city that hosts at least one team in each of the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB has now gone the longest without winning it all? Off the top of my head, I can rule out some obvious ones: New York (Giants, last year), Los Angeles (Lakers, not long ago), Detroit (Wings, last year) and (stretching a point with the Patriots) Boston (Celtics, last year).

Maybe Minnesota? Or Washington? Atlanta? Anyone know definitively?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember the Jays... but can I bash the Leafs one more time?

:-)

Boneman8 said...

I wonder if Denver would be in that list, but I must admit, Washington is probably a good choice...along with Minnesota