Monday, October 20, 2008

Rays Vs Phillies For All The Marbles: Who'd Have Thunk It?

First off, I have to say: hats off to the Tampa Bay Rays for keeping it together after blowing a 7-0 7th inning lead in Game 5 of a series that they were up 3-1 at the time. When they fell by a 4-2 score in Game 6 I really believed that the series was over, and that tonight's Game 7 would be a Boston blowout. Instead, both sides got excellent pitching from their starters and relievers, and the Rays earned a nail-biter 3-1 victory and their first ever trip to the World Series. Will they repeat the amazing accomplishment of their state-mates, the Florida Marlins, who've made the postseason exactly twice in their franchise history, but won the World Series each time (1997 and 2003)? It'd be quite impressive if the Rays did follow suit, as that would mean that the state of Florida would be 9-0 in MLB playoff series, all-time!

I have no idea who will win between the Phillies and Rays, but I just hope it's not a series of one-sided games. Let's have some lead changes, and some last-minute comebacks, guys! Otherwise it could be a very boring finale to what's already been a somewhat lacklustre postseason.

2 comments:

Boneman8 said...

Congratulations to the Rays. My boys kept my hopes alive and even last night when they were down 3-1 I didn't do what I normally do for my Bruins, curse a blue streak at the TV and then turn it off!!

All I have to cling to now is the 2 World Series the Red Sox have gotten since 2004, and the fact that in their last 10 games facing elimination, the Red Sox are now 9-1. Man was I hoping for 10-0!! But oh well...

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

In the interests of accuracy, I'll just tweak what Boneman said: it was actually ALCS (American League Championship Series) elimination games that the Red Sox had been 9-0 in, prior to last night's loss.