Friday, October 24, 2008

Resistance 2 Beta: First Impressions

So I've now played for about an hour, mostly between Competitive Team Deathmatches online and Cooperative Campaign in Offline mode (the latter, in order to learn the controls and weapons, after getting my butt kicked in the online version). Way too early to say anything with conviction, but I figured I should record my first impressions before I lose them.

1) The graphics haven't been as good as I'd hoped. Some of the scenery seems kind of rough, so maybe that's a reflection of the beta status, but somehow I doubt it.

2) I'm not sure why they decided to switch the controls around (secondary fire is now the bottom right trigger instead of the top left one, primary fire is the top right, sprint is bottom left, and you change weapons with the triangle... all of which seem wrong to me!) but they have. That's going to take some getting used to, plus maybe I need to see if there are alternate control layouts that may work better for me.

3) Speaking of which, I still have my issue with R3 (pressing the right thumbstick in) being the Melee control... I'm doing that as I dance around an opponent, trying to shoot him dead!

4) The flow of the menu is really onerous right now, as dying in Cooperative mode (Offline) means that you have to start back at the main menu and make all of your selections again. I really hope that's a beta thing!

It's great to be playing a new Resistance game, and I think I'm going to like it once I get used to it, but right now it's all just a little unsettling.

No comments: