Tuesday, January 01, 2008

An Agile Book Update

I may've played too much Halo 3 this holiday season, but I also managed to find time to work quite a bit on The Real-Life Adventures of AgileMan (Lessons Learned in Going Agile). Over the last 12 days, I took it from just over 20,000 words, all the way up to nearly 40,000 words. I wrote the 25th 'chapter' this morning, and am now starting to think in terms of "what's left to cover" for the first time. If I still had another week of vacation left, I think I could actually finish the first draft in that amount of time, based on the pace that I've set over this break.

I've been rewriting parts of it as I go along, but I'll be doing that at an even higher level once the first draft's complete. I'm particularly concerned that it's not currently enough of a narrative, so I'll be looking for ways to tie it all together better once I have all of the pieces in front of me. If I accomplish nothing else with this book, it has to at least read well!

More updates as they develop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're interested, I've got a bit of history as an editor (in two languages, no less). I'm working on a short book at the moment, mainly cleaning up formatting and fixing some OCR glitches, and have a longer one coming sometime in the next few months, but I'd be willing to take a crack at TRLAAM(LLGA) if you want.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Wow, that's an amazingly generous offer, Peter! I hadn't really been considering any sort of external editing since this is pretty much a do-it-yourself operation, but you've given me cause to reconsider that.

I've still got a lot of work to do before TRLAAM(LLGA) (!) gets seen by anybody else - except maybe Vicki, who previously read the first few chapters - but I'll definitely keep your kind offer in mind as I get closer to being finished what I can do to make it presentable.

Thanks muchly!