Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Nightwing Gets Another Shot


Way, way back in my first fortnight of blogging, I wrote this post about two comics that I'd just read, one of which impressed, and the other of which... was Nightwing. While not totally slamming the 'Wingster's title back then, I described how it pretty much left me cold. An opportunity to get me interested had been lost.

About six months later, I revisited Dick Grayson's home once again, for a very special Annual that I was looking forward to, and which didn't disappoint. Unfortunately for DC, the regular series was still dead to me.

A few weeks ago, I read that Identity Crisis artist Rags Morales was starting as the regular penciller on Nightwing, at the same time that a new storyline was kicking off along with yet another change in the writing chores for the title (with Peter Tomasi taking over). I really like Rags' artwork and so I figured I'd give the new package a try. I bought it but it was awhile before it bubbled up to the top of my (mounting) unread comic pile.

Last night, I finally read Nightwing # 140 (cover shown here) and much to my delight, it was thoroughly entertaining! I was sucked in right from the opening sequence where Dick Grayson is sky-diving, right through the scenes with Bruce "Batman" Wayne and Tim "Robin" Drake and the new mystery revolving around some grave-robbing, and finally on to the surprise appearance by a certain Man of Steel ("Dick? We need to talk!") At no point did I lose interest or find my thoughts wandering, which always seemed to plague this title in the past. I wouldn't say that it was outstanding, but it was definitely good enough to make me come back for more (# 141's conveniently due out next week!)

At a time when I'm dropping all-things-Spider-Man, it's particularly nice to pick up a DC title, featuring another long-time favourite (geez, Dick Grayson was introduced more than two decades before I was born!) and spend my money on that instead.

No comments: