Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sounds Like A Pot Of Gold So Far

I'm on my 3rd listen-through of Radiohead's latest release, In Rainbows. (It arrived in my mailbox on the 2nd business day following my placing of the order at Chapters, which only happened after I'd waited nearly 3 weeks for Amazon to ship the copy I'd attempted to get through them. Talk about a stark contrast in experiences!) I won't make any bold predictions about how much I expect to love this CD just yet, because I find that my appreciation for most music changes over time, especially during that initial period where my ears are adjusting to the rhythms and beats of the new sounds. But I will say that my gut feel so far is: I like it!

The only track that I'd heard before receiving the CD (and only once, at that) was "Nude". It's currently my favourite (but, again - early days!) as I love the lilting sound and the way that it's put up against lyrics like: "So don't get any big ideas / They're not gonna happen / You'll go to Hell / For what your dirty mind is thinking".

When I told Vicki how much I was enjoying In Rainbows on the 2nd listening, she asked, "So, good biking music, then?" and I had to admit that, no, it's probably not because it's not hard-driving enough. But of course, whenever I really get into a CD, it automatically becomes biking music by virtue of my just wanting to listen to it every chance that I get! So who knows?

No comments: