Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Mainstream Radiohead

I never thought I'd see the day, but based on Vicki's reaction to In Rainbows last night - she actually liked several of the songs when she heard them - I can almost believe that Radiohead has released a mainstream-accessible CD! I'm sure that the purist 'head fans will disown the latest release, if it truly is something that just about anybody can enjoy, because that's the way these things usually go. I'm not even ready to guess yet just how it'll hold up for me by the 40th or 50th listen, but after about 10 plays, I'm digging it in a big way! There's just not a bad track to be found on In Rainbows, and that's pretty impressive.

But I guess the question still remains: is it Radiohead-y enough? And it may not be. I swear several of the songs sound more like U2 than Radiohead, which is something that I don't think I've ever said about any of their previous releases.

No comments: