Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New Cap Makes His Debut

In case you missed the news, Captain America # 34 came out today. Why's that news? Because it featured a new Captain America, replacing the late, lamented Steve Rogers (who, as we all know, died from gunshot wounds nearly a year ago now). I'll hide the identity of the new Cap under a spoiler white-out, in case anyone who reads this blog doesn't want it ruined for them: Cap is now Bucky Barnes, aka the Winter Soldier, aka Cap's WWII sidekick "Bucky." To be honest, I haven't actually read the issue yet, so that preceding whited out statement has not actually been confirmed by me, but I'm confident enough from the lead-up to this issue to stick my neck out on the topic. I'll certainly post a retraction if it turns out that I'm wrong in my theory/guess, and I'll be sure to read the comic in question shortly (probably later tonight). I just don't expect to be wrong in this case.

Now, that's all well and good, but I remain convinced that this will be a short-term situation. I still expect Steve Rogers to return, as he's just too good of a character for Marvel to waste (even Marvel under Joe Quesada!) In the meantime, though, they'll have their fun with a replacement Cap, and as long as Ed Brubaker's writing the title, I have no complaints!

And whatever else you might say about this development, at least now, after a long absence, there will once more be "a" Captain America appearing in the comic that bears his name! And that's gotta count for something!

No comments: