Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Speaking Of Radiohead

Thom Yorke and the boys were in the news today. If you care enough to actually follow the link, you can also watch the video for "Nude," from the latest CD (In Rainbows) there.

One of the things I love about new music arriving from artists that you're a fan of is that feeling, when you hear it for the first time or two, of not being sure if you actually like it or not. You'll never get to hear that music that way ever again, so it's something to truly cherish and enjoy to the fullest each and every time it happens, I think. I can still remember listening to the cassette of Peter Gabriel's So, in Cork, Ireland, in the Spring of 1986, on a Walkman that my friend Deborah lent me. The album had just been released that week and she knew how desperate I was to hear it, despite being several thousand kilometres away from my beloved turntable. All of the tracks sounded so strange and unpredictable, and yet now it's one of the most familiar sets of songs that I know.

No comments: