Thursday, January 17, 2008

Some Weeks Age You More Than Others

This has been an unbelievably 'eventful' week at work, as it seems like every day there's been something that's set people off or caused a big stir among management. I'm inclined to think that it all comes down to being near the end of our year-and-a-half long project, since the pressure's continuing to build and some people aren't handling it all that well. I've wondered for a long time what this stressful period would look like in an Agile world, and now I'm finding out. Or rather, I'm finding out what it looks like when you haven't quite managed to complete the transition to Agile!

One thing I've noticed is that some people are reverting to form. We've all certainly paid lip service to the principles of Agile for the past 18 months, but only now are we finding out who actually believes in them. In some cases, it might be a team that's ready to give up its empowerment rather than risk pissing someone off, and in another it could be a manager who resorts to barking orders when the going gets tough. On the other hand, some of the people around me - among both management and non-management - are showing incredible strength, skill and commitment to our new way of working. I can't help but think that this is a test of some sort, and what we really should be doing is paying attention to who's passing, and who's failing!

The other revelation about our current situation that became apparent to me today is that some people prefer not to have our problems discussed in the open. That's only natural, as that sort of thing is almost always painful to go through. Because I tend to shine a spotlight on things that are happening - good and bad - through my work blog, I came under criticism today for promoting an "us vs them" attitude. What I couldn't seem to convey very well at the time of the complaint was: it's already out there! I don't have to promote it... it's already a best-seller! I'm just holding it up to the light so that we can stop denying it and start dealing with it! That sentiment wasn't particularly well-received, but these things take time. If we're ever going to become the great company that we all want to be a part of, we'll first have to get to the point where we can truly have that kind of transparency and then commit to doing something about whatever ails us. Unfortunately, at the moment some of us are still stuck at the "Denial" stage, and that's too bad.

I think if every week were like this week (and it's not even over yet), I'd only last another couple months before I'd have to pack it all in and go fishing. I just hope this isn't the start of a lot more of the same...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you weren't one of them, I'd almost think you were one of us. But then you are classed with them, so you aren't us, even if you do fight for us.

But thanks!!

:-)

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

As Groucho or Woody or someone said, "I don't want to join any club that would have me as a member!"