Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Exciting Comics Coming Out Tomorrow (Jan 8th Edition)

I've had to lower the bar somewhat to find anything all that exciting about tomorrow's light load of comics, but I wanted to post one of these updates tonight just for the little treasure that I've added at the end! Read on...

Countdown to Final Crisis # 16 - I'm about four weeks behind in my comic reading, so I haven't kept up with the last few Countdown issues yet. I've read a few blogs that seem to indicate that the title has finally gotten more interesting lately, but I'll believe that when I see it!

Green Arrow / Black Canary # 4 - This series started with one of the two leads supposedly dead - he got better! - and then the third issue ended with Green Arrow's son, Green Arrow (that's so much fun to say) taking a bullet through the left side of his chest! Has there ever been a mainstream superhero series so obsessed with death so early in its lifespan??

Teen Titans: The Lost Annual - Back in the 60s, when Bob Haney was writing the original Teen Titans and Brave and the Bold titles, those were the places to go if you wanted to read wacky, somewhat goofy superhero fare. While that was never really my cup of tea, I can't help but feel a little nostalgic about it now. And along comes a Teen Titans story written by Haney a few years ago - before he died in 2004 - that supposedly features the oh-so-hip sidekicks heading off into space to save JFK! Yeah, that sounds about right!

Amazing Spider-Man # 546 - Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha... no, sorry. Not wasting my money there. Pass!

The Twelve # 1 - This is a new mini-series by J Michael Straczynski, just in time to fill the void created by his departure from the aforementioned Spidey title. The premise here is that a dozen superheroes from the 1940s were frozen and are now revived in the early 21st century... and then of course some classic fish-out-of-water hilarity ensues! (OK, probably not, but what do I know? This is the first issue!)

And then there was this e-mail that I got from my local comic store owner:

"Hello Matt,

I am looking at some old (golden age) Batman and Detective books and was wondering if you would be at all interested.

Detective Comics
104, 114

Batman
19, 21, 27, 28, 29, 35, 37, 38, 40, 42.

Haven't had a close look yet but all seem to be VG - FN+ condition. Majority seem to be VG+."


You read that right... there might actually be a copy of the 19th issue of Batman (from 1943!) in my future! It'd have to be in a condition that I found acceptable, and not bought by someone else before I got to it, and within my current budgetary restraints... but it could happen! And all of those comics listed are from the 1940s, meaning that any of them would be amazing additions to my collection. Now that sort of thing qualifies as exciting!

6 comments:

T said...

Good Luck with the Golden age comics!

David Webb said...

I have my fingers crossed for you Matt. #19, now wouldn't that just be a fine thing?

David Webb said...

I just got around to reading ASM #545 and all I can say is...amazing. They have managed, after about 36 years of collecting, to put me off Spidey. Unbelievable.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

It's an impressive accomplishment that Mr Quesada has pulled off, ain't it?

I took probably too much pleasure from telling my local store owner that, no, I wouldn't be buying ASM anymore (I'd previously warned him that I'd probably drop it once JMS left, anyway) and that the last issue of "One More Day" has left the character as someone I didn't even know.

Anonymous said...

I took #546 just to see what the "new day" would be like, and... well, it isn't JMS's Spidey, but it isn't as bad as the end of One More Day either. Still cancelling though!

David Webb said...

""One More Day" has left the character as someone I didn't even know."

And wasn't that what Ultimate Spider-Man was for? To whom will this appeal? And how far back is the retcon? These are questions I don't care to have answered. I mean Mephisto. Really? Gah.

I canceled Xbox Live over this level of irritation; not driving miles out of my way to buy Spidey will be simple in comparison.