Sunday, September 07, 2008

Frontlines: Fun Fuel But Not Enough Of It

I finished Frontlines: Fuel of War (on the 360) last night, about a week and a bit after starting it. In the course of playing through it, I was enjoying it enough that I would routinely go back and replay earlier levels in order to try things a little differently (e.g. "What if I equipped myself with a rocket launcher this time instead of a machine gun?"). That's usually the sign of a good game, for me anyway, and it was in this case. However, I'm a fairly slow gamer, and so getting through a game in such quick fashion, having replayed parts of it along the way, makes it, also, a short game. Which is too bad, because I think that at about 50% more content, it would've been a great game.

So now I'm going to either re-enter the world of Call of Duty 4 (on the PS/3) or launch into Lost Planet (on the 360). As always, it's good to have choices!

2 comments:

Pagan Mnemosyne said...

If you haven't already, go check out the 1Up.com podcasts, especially UpYours. This week the boys are discussing the Mercenaries, so with your love of shooters, you may enjoy it.

Have you checked out The Beat Goes On on Wellington for games? My brother manages the store, and you can usually find new games on sale for around $40. (New to you, that is, but Greg is very, very picky about what used games he'll buy. They have to have all their instruction booklets and NO scratches on the discs.)

And Too Human rocks, even with all its problems.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Good tip on the used games store, Kid. I'll definitely check it out for some of my upcoming purchases.

I was thinking just today about how there are games that I really want to buy in the week they come out - and thus, pay top dollar for them - and there are others that I'm happy to wait months or even a year for. Lost Planet was a good example of the latter type, and I'm thinking about buying the original MotorStorm, as another example. Both are games that I've had the demos for for nearly a year now, which I've played many times. That's probably a good enough indicator that I'd get my money's worth out of them... at $20 a game, that is!