Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Ones That Got Away

I decided to bid on this gorgeous Gene Ha recreation of the cover of Action Comics # 44 (from the 1940s) since it was sitting around $560 last night, going into the last few hours of the Siegel & Shuster Society auction to save the house where Jerry Siegel created Superman. I was briefly the high bidder, but it eventually went for over $1800, which was more twice what I'd been willing to pay for it.

Then I went for this John Cassaday (artist on Planetary and Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run) pencil artwork, and managed to remain the high bidder (at just over $700) until about 3 seconds before it ended! Ah, you gotta love the snipers!

This Curt Swan Legion of Super-Heroes page, generously donated by Silver Age trivia maven Mark Waid (from his personal collection), was always out of my price range, and ultimately sold for $7600.

No comments: