Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pool All Closed For Another 7 Or 8 Months

With some help from Tammy and despite me throwing my back out yesterday (yeah, that was good timing!), we got the pool winterized yet again. The winter cover had been chewed through by some small animal in our shed over the summer so we had to spend $120 for a new one, but that was no big loss as we'd had the previous blanket for most of the 10 years that we've lived here. Lesson learned, though: must keep blanket sealed away in hard plastic tub while the pool's open!

I actually lost some sleep last night worrying about whether I'd be able to lift the two pool ladders out of their wells today, what with my back being all messed up. Some years it's been quite the struggle to get one or both of them out because they get wedged in there over the summer, but I was lucky and they came out easy-peasy this morning. I was all ready to call the next door neighbour over if they hadn't, though... there wasn't going to be a lot I could do otherwise, as I had very little strength available to me in any sort of lifting motion.

Now that the pool's closed, I'm ready for a good run of mild days, not cold enough to make us pull out our winter jackets but also not so warm as to require a dip after cycling. I used to love the October bike rides into work except when we'd get Indian Summer days and I'd kick myself for not being able to take a swim when I got home.

No comments: