Saturday, September 13, 2008

Longest Playoff Drought

Correction! The stats shown by Fox Sports were obviously bogus, which shouldn't surprise me, considering the source. What they may have been showing were the longest droughts by league, although that wouldn't explain why they had 2 NHL teams on their list! Anyway, I'll re-word it to be more clear:

Which team in the four major professional sports (NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL) currently holds the longest playoff drought (longest time since they were last in their league's postseason)? Teams that change cities shouldn't be considered (what do you expect, when you move your franchise, anyway?) The correct answer is a team that's not changed cities or names over this period, and it's quite a long stretch.

I'll provide the answer as a comment to this post in a few days. 2 Blog Points to anyone who gets it right. And don't bother posting an answer that you looked up on the Internet, please. This is for people to think about, not just click the right answer.

P.S. As a Jays fan, you'd think I'd have remembered that they haven't been in the playoffs since 1993! Sheesh...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I recall hearing on the radio that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays have NEVER made the post season, and they went on to mention that they were added as an expansion team in '98... according to my math, thats 10 years.

10 has 2 digits, therefore a 'double digit', so I'm going with Tampa. Final answer...

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Hmmm... good answer, Shane!

It's not actually the one that was quoted on the show that I was watching, but your math is right. The only reason I can think that they wouldn't have included the Rays in their list (as they didn't) was because Tampa's currently in a playoff position (and it was all based on the current situation). But since they haven't clinched a spot yet, I'm giving you 2 blog points for sure.

We'll see if anyone comes up with the other answer, which is actually a drought much longer than 10 years! I could've worded the question differently and avoided this, but I was so shocked to see that the 2nd longest drought was only 9 years (according to them).

Hell, I was just glad the NY Rangers didn't show up anywhere on the list, as they would've in 2005!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

1 blog point to AgileBoy for pointing out my boo-boo.

Anonymous said...

Did you see this on yesterday's Brewers Phillies game? The longest drought is 26 years by the Milwaukee Brewers. But I don't agree with the others that were listed, especially the 2nd longest drought of 9 years by the Florida Panthers. The Kansas City Royals haven't made the playoffs since 1985, which is 23 years. The Pirates haven't made it since 1992. The Arizona Cardinals haven't since 1998, 10 years ago. Fox sucks.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

As mentioned, I think what Fox was trying to present in their ham-fisted way were the longest playoff droughts by league, despite the fact that they didn't indicate that. So there was one answer for each league, except that the NHL apparently has a tie right now (Florida and Columbus), which is why 2 NHL teams showed up (which really confused me).

Anonymous said...

LA Kings, Boston Celtics, Milwalkee Brewers, Chicago Bears...OK, those are my wild guesses without looking or clicking or even having a list of team names in front of me - wow talk about making this hard!

Anonymous said...

Interesting.