Sunday, May 27, 2007

Is There Life After TV?

With the 2006/07 seasons of all our favourite TV shows now wrapped up, there's the inevitable feeling of emptiness that always descends in late May. This year's cream of the crop - Heroes, Lost and 30 Rock - provided thrills and laughs aplenty, so I have no complaints. Also, we're getting the last few Studio 60 episodes now - which I can't help but liken to the experience of finding a wrapped gift from a recently-dead relative when going through their affairs - but even that's not going to last much longer. Then what?

For Vicki and I, it'll be more episodes of Angel Season One, courtesy of Tammy's DVD collection, along with selections from our stack of unwatched movie DVDs, and maybe some game-playing (although I haven't solved the PS/3 situation yet, now a month later!) Buddy Tim also mentioned something about lending us some favourite show of his on DVD (The Wire, perhaps?) but that's yet to materialize. And of course there's always baseball, the only sport in town once you hit mid-June anyway.

What about the rest of you? What's your life after TV like?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Usually the PVR would be a saviour, but I watched the last movie I recorded over the winter yesterday. (Read into the fact that it was The Lost Weekend as you will. :) Fortunately the music and theatre seasons have started to get back into full swing, and the summer festival schedule is full as usual.

Anonymous said...

Larry's still got The Wire season 1.

I was thinking about it last night and it has been literally 2 years since my first viewing. It has this strange ability to brew and turn over in your mind like a great novel. I've also gone and bought the book 'The Corner' by David Simon, one of the producers. It is equally as heartbreaking

Personally not watching much TV. The Blue Jays may drag me back, but I sorta doubt it.

Mike Marsman said...

thank goodness for tv torrents. we'll certainly be keeping an eye on weeds and the closer, probably catch up on a couple of seasons of other shows that we haven't really followed but always wanted to.