Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Sometimes Murder Deserves A Standing Ovation

As Vicki can attest to, I was cheering during tonight's Lost as Sawyer did in the old man with the chain, even moreso than when Jack Bauer pulled the same trick on his Middle Eastern nemesis just a few weeks ago. At first I was bugged that Locke couldn't do it himself, but once the connection between the characters became clear, it made way more sense to have Sawyer pull the trigger (so to speak). This was a stellar Sawyer episode, showing a more vulnerable side to him than we usually get. The look on his face when the letter was wripped up would've broken Kate's heart, if she'd seen it. The events in "The Brig" also position Locke well to finally achieve his real potential in the future, in stark contrast to the wishy-washy side we all too often see out of him. I'm hoping this truly exorcised his demons, and that it doesn't turn into a "oh, why oh why did I get my father killed?" soap opera.

Rousseau wandering into the scene, sizing up Locke as he sat outside a locked room from whence strange sounds came, and then leaving with a box of dynamite... perfect! I said I Vicki, "I can just hear people whining, 'But now there's another mystery around what she wanted the dynamite for...' but me, I love it!" If I'd been Locke, though, I'd have been a little worried that the French woman would've thought I'd gone crazy, like her expedition did! We all remember what she did when that happened!

And speaking of mysteries... what's the secret between Jack and Juliet?

Finally, the whole notion of their plane having been found in the Pacific, dead bodies intact, is sure starting to sweep across the island! Won't be long before even Rose and Bernard have heard about it! Oh wait, are they even on the island anymore? For that matter, are any of them really on the island? What a great season this has been!

4 comments:

Mike Marsman said...

i agree - all said, my favorite episode so far.

i thought the rousseau bit was a great setup - i'm anxiously anticipating that big bang! ('this jungle is gonna rumble', part deux?!)

just before the commercial break when locke locked sawyer jr in with sawyer sr, when there was that first hint of connection, i cheered in anticipation! (it caught ally off guard!)

could the writers be playing with the viewers a little bit? there's been that purgatory theory going around for a long time - i wonder how much of sawyer sr's thoughts on 'this is hell' was influenced by all that...

Anonymous said...

The dynamite is another explosive (heh) plot point I missed somehow; I also missed Locke blowing up the ship. Heck, it took me a minute or two just to figure out why Hurley and Jin were together outside Sawyer's tent. I'm not sure why, but this show makes me sleepy.

Still watching though, and I'm glad you're posting recaps so I can read up on what I miss!

Anonymous said...

My comments are related to the previous episode with Locke...first of all, I thought his line was classic when Benry was talking about the box and Locke said, "Well I hope your box is big enough to pull out another sub!" Hilarious!

And then, in last night's episode, Benry flat out tells Locke, "The 'box' is a metaphor, John!"

Anonymous said...

Yes I liked this one very much. See limited flashbacks (or ones that take place on the island) are such a good thing :)

I can't wait for the next episode when Juliet gets outted!! I hate that bitch!

So many intruiging mysteries ... but they're actually solving something every week, that's what I love about this season!