Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Tony Bedard: The De-Skankifier?

When I heard the news not long ago that comic writer Tony Bedard would soon be taking over the monthly Supergirl title, it didn't really fill me with explosions of joy. Nothing against Bedard, whose style I barely know - he did a recent Legion of Super-Heroes that I liked enough not to drop the title after Mark Waid left it - but more a reflection of just how bad this portrayal of Kara Zor-El has been to date in other hands. (Remember "Worst. Version. Ever." recently?)

Then I read Bedard's interview regarding the character, where he said, among other things: "She's not a dark avenger or Goth punk. She's a strange visitor from another planet who should embody all that's best in humanity and in America." and "I have basic expectations about what's appropriate for a character with the 'S' on her chest."

And I thought,

YES! He may actually write a Supergirl I'd like to read!

So I'll at least give the title another chance, when he arrives with Supergirl # 20 in a couple months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

De-skankifier! Oh my god...made me laugh.
Just invent that would you...we could market it to frustrated fathers!