Sunday, May 06, 2007

This Was Pool Opening Weekend

A good chunk of our Saturday was spent in the Spring ritual known as "opening the pool." This involves getting the winter cover off - which can range from mildly entertaining to extremely frustrating - and then making all of the various equipment work once more (pump, filter, electrolytic cell for the salt, heater). We used to pay skilled professionals to do the latter task, but in recent years have taken on the whole kit and kaboodle ourselves. Complicating this year's plan was that Vicki had hurt her back last week and wasn't really up to doing any lifting or straining. We were lucky enough to have our next door neighbour come over to see how it was done, and then she volunteered to help with the cover removal. Also, we couldn't have asked for a nicer day, weather-wise, than Saturday proved to be.

Things went reasonably well this year, in that the cover came off without dumping any dirty water into the pool, I was able to get the pump hose re-attached without incident, and the heater didn't require a service call to get working as has happened twice before. Water temperature the first time I stuck the thermometer in was 47 degrees F (around 9 degrees C). As of when I turned the pump off tonight, it was up to 64 F (approx 17 C). I'm hoping to get it into the 70s tomorrow, as I'd probably brave it around that point, especially if it's warmer than the air (which it likely will be, tomorrow).

At one point I thought that I should grab the camera and take a photo, but never came of that. Maybe I'll get one tomorrow on my day off. In the meantime, you'll just have to use your imgination - or memory, if you've seen it before!

No comments: