Wednesday, May 02, 2007

What's Peter Up To Now?

I can always count on music genius Peter Gabriel to be on the bleeding edge of something... At various points in the past, it was interactive content from his music library that you could explore on your PC, as well as a plan for an amusement park-style ride animating his delightful "Kiss That Frog" song from Us.

Now, he's announcing a new Digital Rights Management-free music service that uses pre-song ads to tie revenue to the music. I'll be interested to hear what others think of this. I'm a well-known hard-ass when it comes to people pirating the work of others, but clearly most of the people around me think that's OK. So it's apparent some sort of alternative approach is needed for this broken business model. I wonder if PG's onto something, or just flailing in the wind?

No comments: