Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Exciting Comics Coming Out Tomorrow (Apr 17th Edition)

Big week this time around, both in terms of volume and excitement.

52 # 50 - I'm not sure how something that lasts only one week - possibly only part of one week - qualifies for the label World War Three, but DC's claiming that's what we get here. Along with this crucial issue of 52 come 4 one-shots this week tying into WWIII: A Call To Arms, The Valiant, Hell Is For Heroes and United We Stand. Besides sharing a title with one of the better Babylon 5 TV movies, these comics promise all kinds of exciting events from Black Adam's war with the rest of the world. I'm so there for all five comics!

Brave and the Bold # 3 - This series, only two issues old so far, has been so much fun that I have to pinch myself to believe it actually exists! I'm not crazy about the team-up this time - Lobo and Supergirl?! - but who cares when it's Mark Waid and George Perez doing classic style DC comics?

[Edit: It was actually Batman & Blue Beetle in this issue, with Lobo & Supergirl scheduled for # 4.]

Ex Machina # 27 - I get a comic from scribe Brian K. Vaughan on the same day he makes his writing debut on Lost? Oh baby!

Justice League of America # 8 - And here begins the big JLA/JSA crossover, running between both titles, and apparently bringing the Legion of Super-Heroes into the mix, for good measure! Have I died and arrived in Geek Heaven? It sure feels like it!

Manhunter # 30 - Ah, here's the final issue of this very enjoyable title... until it returns for good in a couple of months!! I'm really happy that DC made the decision that, borderline sales notwithstanding, this is a title they should continue to publish. It's gotten enough critical acclaim to justify its existence, and I think it's slowly building up a reasonable audience (and I'm one of the newer arrivals).

Nightwing Annual # 2 - While I gave up on the regular series months ago, this special issue is written by Manhunter creator Marc Andreyko, which would be enough on its own to get me to buy it. The fact that it features the story of what happened when Dick "Nightwing-Don't-Call-Me-Robin" Grayson proposed to Barbara "Oracle-But-Used-To-Be-Batgirl" Gordon during Infinite Crisis last year just adds to the appeal for this fanboy!

Mighty Avengers # 2 - As I continue to reduce my Marvel Comics pull list each month - hey Marvel: Civil War, it turns out, made a great jumping off point! - this new Avengers title is on the bubble but I'll give it a couple more months to try to win me over. The Frank Cho artwork was really the only attraction in the premiere issue, which doesn't bode well (although it was very good art!)

No comments: