Monday, April 16, 2007

Drive Is Off To A Fast Start

Vicki and I watched the 2-hour premiere of the new Fox show, Drive, tonight, and were quite impressed. Given the pedigree of one of its creators (Tim Minear), who's worked on Firefly, Angel and The X-Files, I guess we shouldn't be surprised that it was so good. There were a ton of twists and turns in the plot - a few of which I guessed, most of which I didn't - as well as a genuinely interesting set of characters, many of whom I'll admit I actually started to care about. Discovering the differences between the various motivations, as well as the fact that we're not entirely sure of everyone's reasons for being in the race even now, made for a high-speed plot that kept us both glued to our seats. We've recorded - but not yet watched - the 3rd hour, which was on tonight before 24.

I suppose Drive is what The Amazing Race would be, if the latter was actually about something, and well-written, and well-acted. OK, so maybe they're really not very alike at all, beyond the obvious race aspect. Give me a well-done fictional show - like Lost, for example - over a so-called reality show - like Survivor - any day of the week!

P.S. Thanks to PeterJ for mentioning Drive, a few months ago, as something I might be interested in. That got me to at least pay attention to the commercials for it, which in turn piqued my curiousity enough to record the premiere, and away we went. At least I think it was PeterJ. It seems like the sort of thing he'd do, anyway...

No comments: