Friday, April 20, 2007

One Of The Weirder Things About Blogging...

... is that you're never really sure who's reading!

Several times in recent weeks, I've been in conversations in which I realized the person I was talking to already knew what I was about to say, because they'd read my account of it either on my work blog or here. In each case, these were individuals who I didn't have any reason to think were following either blog, and yet they had been.

The problem this poses for me is this: with the exception of a few notables (PeterJ, Hinckley, Man from Mars, Tammy), I can never really count on the fact that someone has read a blog post! So it's not like I can either just skip mentioning whatever it was that came into my mind, or make a vague reference to it, confident that the other person will know what I mean. And of course it's even more confusing with two different blogs in play, and some people who only read the one, some who only read the other, and still others who 'sample' one or another of the other blogs infrequently.

And that's not even counting the times when, based on a look I got, I've thought someone knew what I was talking about based on me blogging about it, only to have confusion ensue, followed eventually by, "You have a blog?"

No comments: