Friday, September 21, 2007

Another Bottom Of The Ninth Disaster

Once again, I had the 'pleasure' of watching the Jays blow a big ninth inning lead, this time a 4-0 lead over the Yankees in New York. Halliday was on the mound once again, trying to get yet another complete game victory - because, with the Jays' bullpen, what starter would ever want to hand over the ball before the game's over? - and thanks to two straight fielding errors by Aaron Hill, the Yankees managed to score 4 runs and tie it up, sending it to the 10th inning. I suppose Jays fans should celebrate the fact that the team didn't lose the game in the 9th, just the lead (for a change).

I'm sure the only fans more disgusted than the Jays' contingent right now are the ones in Boston! With the Red Sox leading in the 9th of their game, this could've been the night when they added a full game to their oh-so slender lead atop the AL East. And I suppose they still could, but it seems unlikely after that bottom of the 9th in New York.

4 comments:

Mike Marsman said...

Good to see that they saved it in the 14th inning.

I just can't get excited about the Jays anymore.. not since their heyday in the 90's.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Hmmmm... I'm torn between "bandwagon jumper" and "fair weather fan." Ah, what the Hell, Mike: you can have 'em both!

:-)

Mike Marsman said...

I accept neither.

I followed the Jays religiously for over 15 years, since I was a young'en - well before their back-to-back series'. Kelly Gruber was my favorite player ... not really sure why, but I have an autographed rookie card of his to prove it! It's probably worth about $2.00 now... i have about 8 full years of O-Pee-Chee and Topps cards, still in my parents basement. They're probably not worth much, either.. but I can't bring myself to part with 'em.

I gave up on following them around 96-97.. i think I blamed it on Ash leading the Jays down the tubes, but it was probably the players strike that really sealed the deal for me.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Well said. (Quitter!)