Saturday, September 29, 2007

Reading Frenzy

It's not unusual for me to be reading two books at once, as I find that sort of variety quite appealing (if one of them gets slow, the other will likely make up for it). But right now I somehow find myself in the midst of four different books!

I just finished Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, and immediately started on his previous work, The Tipping Point. Both of those were lent to me by the Man from Mars. Blink was fantastic (although it finished weaker than it started) and so far The Tipping Point is also making for fascinating reading.

I've been slogging my way through The World Is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman, a loaner from Tammy that she thought I might like. I'd almost given up on it after a very slow - and repetitive - start, but then he hit on a topic that interested me, and I got into it more. The jury's still out as to whether I'll finish it or not, though.

After hearing many good things about it again and again over the past couple years, co-worker Kerny (aka AgileBoy) handed me his copy of Good to Great by Jim Collins on Friday. Maybe this is his way of saying that he thinks I'm "good, but could be great" or maybe he just knew I wanted to read it. Either way, I'm about 60 pages in and enjoying it quite a bit.

And finally, I'm also about a dozen pages into Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders, a collection of short stories by one of my favourite bloggers. The first one is a Sherlock Holmes tale, "A Study in Emerald", and the notion of a Holmes tale by Gaiman very nearly blows my mind! Also included is "How to Talk to Girls at Parties" which I figure has to hold some good tips for all of us!

No comments: