Tuesday, September 25, 2007

This Blog, In A Word Or Two

For whatever paranoid reason, I started worrying recently that all of the material I've written here might be lost if Blogger went out of business, or were sold, or whatever. And while the loss of this blog would hardly be a National Disaster, I've spent a lot of time laying down thoughts to have them all go up in a puff like that.

So over the last couple nights, while watching TV, I manually copied and pasted each display page of this blog into a Word document (actually, two of them, as it was getting quite slow and cumbersome as a single doc). I now have "Blogging Year 1 Part 1" and "Blogging Year 1 Part 2" saved off on both of our home computers (which get backed up regularly). I realize I was a little premature - the official end of Year 1 is still a few days away - but I figured, close enough!

And now I can stop worrying about a scenario that probably won't happen anyway!

4 comments:

cjguerra said...

You know, I think there may be a way to send a copy of each post to another location as it is posted. Or you could use an RSS feed to pull all the posts. Or there is a way to setup an FTP interface to the site, so you don't have to cut and past everything.

But I haven't tried any of that myself, so explore with caution.

Anonymous said...

Various standalone blogging systems have importers for Blogger, and I believe it also supports AtomPub (RFC 4287), so pretty much any client would be able to grab the whole collection. If all else fails you can "wget --mirror" the whole site from a cron job.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is thank God you got this done. I haven't slept in weeks for worrying about the disappearance of your blog. (Cue hysterical laughter).
Sue G

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

If I didn't know better, Sue, I'd suspect sarcasm.

Fortunately, I know better...