Wednesday, September 19, 2007

If I Yawn, Don't Assume That You're Boring Me!

Each of the last four or five nights has seen me waking up between 4:00 and 5:00 a.m. and not being able to get back to sleep. One of the nights I even got up, went out to our family room, and read a small stack of comics. By the time I was on the last one, I was yawning my head off, so I turned the light back off, laid back down... and couldn't sleep for another hour or more! Prior to this bout, I'd been sleeping pretty well, and was attributing it to having gotten back into a good biking routine. Now that reasoning has been shot down, though, as I'm still biking up a storm and yet not getting nearly enough sleep (probably five hours per night).

I suppose I could always adopt the attitude of that old expression: "I'll have time enough to sleep when I'm dead!" But in the meantime, I end up going into work tired and have lately been doing a lot of yawning at the office, and in the early evenings at home. All of which you'd think would mean that I'd start sleeping better.. but so far, no luck.

A couple co-workers/friends mentioned at lunch today that they'd heard or read recently that humans used to have two (shorter) sleep cycles per night. That's me, except that I can't seem to kick the second one off until just before the alarm goes off (if at all)!

3 comments:

T said...

/start broken record

Well, why not a different exercise - and specifically Yoga. It's got both deadly hard physical activity and a relaxation part at the end.

/end broken record

Mike Marsman said...

iirc, one of the two "segmented sleeps" is where the term beauty sleep came from.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Hey Tim, what part of "I'm interested in Yoga but would prefer to wait until I have time for it, like in a year or two when I'm retired" is not penetrating your melon-like noggin?

Mike, are you perhaps suggesting that the portion of sleep that I'm consistently missing is, in fact, this "beauty sleep" of which you speak? Bastard.