Monday, November 24, 2008

And Now Finally: Some Good News

I found this article on how smokers are on the decline in the U.S. to be encouraging. I was particularly interested in the statistic correlating the % of smokers within bands of education levels (i.e. the more educated people are, the less likely they are to smoke). I've long felt that that was true, just based on anecdotal evidence from my own circle of friends and contacts. While it's not unheard of to find a bright, well-educated smoker (I know a couple!), it's been much more common for me to encounter second-hand smoke among people who gave up on school before getting a post-secondary degree or diploma. The whole idea of slowly killing yourself (and those around you) seems to just make more sense, the further down the education level you go, I guess.

No comments: