Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Perfect Co-Op Round

I had the pleasure of playing one game of Resistance 2 Co-op with Boneman and Boneman, Jr this afternoon, proving that split-screen support over the Internet, can sometimes work in that game! We limited it to just a 3-person mission, and each of us played as a different character. I was the Soldier, Boneman took this opportunity to build up his Medic, and our youngest team member got some practice in as a Special Ops. At first he was a little slow in dispensing ammo, but about 10 minutes in (with some coaching from his dad, I'm sure), he got into a great rhythm such that all three of us were able to stay alive most of the time. I'd keep my shield up, they'd both stand behind me, one on each side (I assume), and pretty much nothing could take us down as long as the ammo and health flowed freely. We even got through one of the toughest parts of the Orick map, where I've seen fairly high failure rates in the past.

As for my Soldier, he's now up to Level 10, at which point the Auger was unlocked as a second weapon. I see people on the R2 forums raving about how great a gun it can be in multiplayer, and so I've switched to use it (replacing the Rossmore shotgun) in order to see if I can make any hay with the thing. I'm finding it slow going in leveling up the Soldier compared to the Medic and Spec Ops, but I think part of that stems from too often starting off a game as a Soldier only to switch to Medic or Spec Ops partway through in order to stave off certain-failure as the result of other players doing so lousy in those roles. I figure that I'd be at least 2 levels further along right now if I hadn't had to do that several times over the weekend already.

As the game launched in Europe late last week, there have been lots of newbies playing all weekend, and it shows. But I can't be too hard on them; I still recall how intimidated I was when I first started up the Beta, even though that now seems so long ago! A month and a half later, though, I'm still going strong on this game, and that's a pretty good return on my investment, I'd say!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much less cursing of the stupid Spec Ops in that boneman game. It actually seemed to go very well for the 3 of you.

Boneman8 said...

It was quite fun, and little Boneman was talking about it for a half hour afterwards. Once he got into that rythmn of simply firing ammo packs at our trusty soldier, and firing off some orbs every once in a while, we were pretty hard to stop.