Monday, November 03, 2008

Less Than 12 Hours To Go...

I know that more people in the gaming community are counting down the hours to Friday's release of Gears of War 2 on the XBox 360, but in this household it's all about Resistance 2 on the PS/3... which comes out in less than half a day from right now! Having started the original Gears of War - before losing interest about 1/4 of the way through - I really can't quite understand why it's so incredibly popular. When McChicken and I decided to play through it in Co-op mode earlier this year, I gained a deeper appreciation for it as something that two people could enjoy together... but not even to the point where I had any interest in going back and completing it on my own.

Resistance: Fall of Man, on the other hand, is a game that I've played through in its entirety in Single Player mode, have played a good chunk of in Co-op mode (with various people) and spent dozens if not hundreds of hours immersed within in the form of online Deathmatches. For my money, it was about as close to a perfect video game as I've experienced to date on a console (the Halo games come near to that mark). Hence my excitement over getting the sequel in just... (checks clock)... less than 11 hours now!

If Gears of War were more like the Halo franchise, I could more easily see its appeal. Halo games are usually strong in all modes, but I just don't get that feeling with Gears. Of course, that puts me in the minority on that front... but I'm OK with that. I like what I like!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Picked up Resistance 2 last night at The Source of all places. Online play wasn't activated yet but the single player campaign was solid. See ya on the battlefield!