Wednesday, November 12, 2008

At The Intersection Of Politics And Comic Books

OK, if you haven't heard about this before now, then you just don't visit the same websites that I do! Oh, wait... that's right, you probably don't!

President-Elect Barack Obama, as I've been told many, many times in the past week or two, "collects Spider-Man and Conan comics." There are several interesting facets to that particular reveal:
  • It's in the current tense, as opposed to the always-popular refrain of "I used to collect comics when I was a kid" that I hear so often in contexts like this.
  • It makes an already-appealing public figure (to me, at least) just that much moreso!
  • As combinations go, Spider-Man and Conan are something of an odd couple... while once upon a time they were both Marvel Comics publications, Conan has moved elsewhere in the past decade (Dark Horse Comics, I think); more importantly, they're very different genres (superhero vs sword & sorcery) and it's not like enjoying one of them would naturally lead to the other!
At any rate, it's big news in the comic world, and so I finally realized that I should probably share it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading the rest of the 50 things I didn't know about Obama. But collecting comics....oh my!