Tuesday, November 25, 2008

One Month Until Christmas

Have you got all of your shopping done? My goal is always to have mine done by around this time, but I'm not quite there this year. The problem hasn't been finding time to get out - I've got lots of time on my hands these days, after all! - but rather figuring out what to buy! I have Tammy taken care of, and Vicki about half-done or maybe a little more than that. But it's that last couple of presents that are always the hardest... mainly because I have no idea what to get!

I wonder if this will be a more restrained Christmas gift-giving season, what with all of the bad economic news and so many people worried about their jobs? Even my dental hygenist today mentioned that she's noticed more cancellations of routine cleanings recently, which will eventually impact her employment if it keeps happening and dentists find that they can get by with part-time help or none at all. I also heard from a friend in the software biz that his workplace is laying off, although he hasn't been affected yet. I guess, in a funny way, it's good that I don't have a job right now, as at least I don't have to worry about losing it! On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being employed at the moment and getting several months' severance pay as part of a downsizing! But I certainly wouldn't wish that on anyone who's reliant on a regular pay currently, because that's no fun at all (especially in a lean employment market,as we're undoubtedly heading into).

I think my early Christmas present this year was Resistance 2, or maybe it was the results of the U.S. election earlier in the month! Either way, I feel like I got a big treat, back on November 4th!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you've been smiling ever since! Getting your 2nd book published should also add a smile to your face.