Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How About A Resistance 2 Update, You Say?

Well, I've now played a few hours of the Single Player campaign, and I have to say that I haven't been all that impressed so far. It feels very linear and claustrophobic compared to Resistance: Fall of Man, which isn't a good thing. I felt much, much more invested in the story in the original, what with a narrator to lead you through the emotional aspect of the battle along with fairly lengthy levels where you had to get through quite a bit before you'd be rewarded with a checkpoint. R2, on the other hand, plays like a training mission, where you keep encountering new menaces every few minutes but once you've died a couple of times you'll see the pattern and skate through unscathed (and that's playing on Normal difficulty, not on Easy). As I said to Boneman not long ago, the regular campaign of Resistance 2 seems more like "Resistance Lite" to me.

On the Co-op side of sides, though, the game continues to deliver the goods. I've been playing almost exclusively as a Special Ops lately, and have managed to get that character up to Level 22 so far. I'm absolutely amazed at the variation in quality among teammates playing as Medics, now that I'm reliant on them for health! Not only am I dying much more as a Spec Ops, but about half the time I remain dead for the full 30 second spawn time while Medics around me concern themselves with other things. Is it really that hard to be an effective Medic?!

I think I'll soon have my Spec Ops up to Level 30 (the maximum), after which... I don't know. I've always found the Soldier so boring to play, but it's also a bit of a drag when you can't level up any further. Oh well... cross that bridge when I get to it!

No comments: