Sunday, November 16, 2008

Even Special Ops Is Fun!

I'm a Level 14 Special Ops in Resistance 2 now, just a few thousand XPs away from reaching Level 15. I love the Invisibility feature that you can use (briefly) as a Spec Ops player, because it adds a little extra variety into a game that's already chock full of the stuff! Normally my routine as a Spec Ops is to alternate between three actions:
  • tossing ammo packs out to my teammates
  • using primary fire (on the Marksman) to do high rates of damage to the bad guys
  • unloading whatever secondary fire ammo I have in the general direction of those same aliens, knowing that each round released will drain some of the life force out of whomever it comes close to on the other side
But when my Berserk meter hits full, and I'm then allowed to use Invisibility for about 30 seconds, I change my strategy: at that point I race into the midst of the enemy throng and fire off as many close-range head shots as I can manage before the time runs out. When I'm on my game, I can do that and get back out of harm's way before becoming visible again; when I'm not, I suddenly awake to the realization that they can now see me, just as I succumb to the volley of artillery raining down on me. Either outcome's pretty cool, though!

One tactic that you eventually figure out about playing a game like this while invisible is that you should stay away from your teammates! After all, even though the Chimera scourge won't fire at you (because they can't see you), that doesn't mean that they won't aim in your general direction if someone else on your team is standing there! I've died a few times after making that mistake, and sometimes it's not even really my fault... somebody wanders over toward me and before I know it, I'm right in the middle of a firefight.

Somehow I doubt that I'll ever get to the point of wanting to play as a Soldier as much as I have as the Medic and (now) the Spec Ops expert... but we'll see.

No comments: