Thursday, July 26, 2007

Finished Season One Of The Wire And It Was... OK

That was pretty much the consensus reaction from both of us: we'd watch the second season of The Wire if it fell in our laps (for example, was on free TV), but we didn't really care enough about it that we'd go out of our way to track it down or, God forbid, buy it on DVD! That puts it below Battlestar Galactica, which we are planning to buy the 3rd season of, as soon as it goes on sale. And it's nowhere nearly as popular in this household as other contemporaries like Lost, Heroes or 30 Rock.

I guess that I'd conclude that the folks who think The Wire is the "best show on TV" must really, really love their procedurals... or else they just can't get enough foul language at their local gym! Having a realistic portrayal of something isn't necessarily enough to turn my crank, when it comes to fiction, and while I found that the characters did grow on me - kudos to the writers for that! - I still wasn't terribly invested in most of them by the end of the season.

I also have to wonder why buddy Tim could've possibly named the end of Season One as his favourite cliffhanger, when there's... actually... no cliffhanger at all! Everything's pretty much wrapped up, albeit not to the main characters' satisfaction. Sure, I could see how the writers could pick up from that point and tell more stories with that same cast, but cliffhangers usually have you sitting on the edge of your seat, waiting to see what happens next, and there's nothing like that here. I guess love really is blind...

Anyway, it was enjoyable enough to watch, and we thank Tim for the loan of the DVDs! If he happens to buy more seasons, we'd happily give them a gander... or just as easily not.

No comments: