Monday, July 09, 2007

Silver Age Comic Trivia IV

An easy one for a change: What colour do the Green Lantern Corps' rings not work against?

Yesterday' Answer: In Daredevil # 15 - one of my favourite early DD tales - Spidey villain the Ox was in prison, sharing a cell with Dr Karl Stragg. While the Ox was big, strong and dumb, his cellmate was small, scrawny and brilliant. Stragg goaded the Ox into breaking them out of jail, with promises to use a machine of his devising to increase the Ox's intelligence. Once free, Stragg was true to his word - sort of! His procedure actually swapped their minds between the two bodies, so that Stragg was in control of the powerful Ox frame, while his IQ-challenged companion was stuck in his former, puny, body. One of the reasons I love this story so much is that, in true poetic form, Stragg's intellect begins to regress as he fights Daredevil with his newfound strength, to the point where he's not much more than pure rage as he charges at DD on top of a building, misses and plunges to his death (or at least that's how I remember it happening!) Meanwhile, the former Ox, now a mere slip of a man, decides to reform, and wanders off into the night a truly changed man.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yellow!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Are you calling me a coward??!!?

Anonymous said...

I would have said Green...but Tim would know better than I.

Anonymous said...

Yay for yellow

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes in fact I am calling you a coward.

Yellow!

So where in the 'List of Matt vacation to dos' does watching season 1 of The Wire fit in?

And in other related Blog news. I purchased 'No One Belongs here more than you' and 'You Me and Everyone We Know'. The short stories in the book and one from a June New Yorker immediately made me want to write a book just so I could find July at a party and talk to her about all our shared interest.

But then I woke up.

Jimmy said...

I might have been able to guess that one...

Enjoying the trivia!