Sunday, July 15, 2007

Fun With Numbers

That previous post - Widescreen Cats - was post # 1010. That number, 1010, was my ABM passcode for years when I first started using ABMs. What I loved about that particular arrangement of digits is that, in decimal format (base 10), it's two 10s, and in binary format (base 2) it's one 10 (8 + 2). Since 10 is my favourite number (if I had to pick a favourite, since I love 'em all so much!) this seemed like an appropriate choice for a 4-digit passcode.

I eventually abandoned it because it was too easy to spot for anyone watching over my shoulder, but I still have a certain fondness for it.

2 comments:

Mike Marsman said...

that reminds me of how i used to remember things like phone numbers. my folks' number ends in 9182 (9+1=10, 8+2=10). our address was 1941 (1+9=10, 4+1=5=10/2). i would always look at numbers and see how they related to the number 10 like this...

years later my sibs and i reminisced over using this same heuristic to remember phone numbers, without even knowing that we did! i still use this (at least to look for the sequence) whenever it fits. very geeky, and i'm proud of it!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I can totally relate, Mike!