Thursday, July 12, 2007

One Thousand Posts Later

As hard as it may be for some to believe - including me! - this is my one thousandth post on this blog (just a little over nine months in). To mark the milestone, I'm going to reflect back on a few of my favourite entries, and encourage you to do the same, if you're so inclined.

It's probably worthwhile to peruse the very first post, Misadventures in Blogland, from way back on October 1st of last year. (And wouldn't that make a good subtitle for this whole experience?) What a novice that guy was!

It probably says something about me that the first series of entries I posted were on the topic of Why Blog? Nothing like starting off introspective! The first answer I came up with was, it's good to have an outlet. And that's still true, 1000 posts in!

One of my first World View Rants was Midlife Crises and Why I Don't Want One and it still pretty much sums up how I feel on the topic.

Around the same time, I put out If I like it, why the Hell don't you? which was - and is - my statement on how people should make recommendations. I've thought back on that one a few times since, as I've encountered Poor Reasons A and B in the ensuing months.

Work issues were occasionally on my mind, such as when I sarcastically exclaimed, You Call This Free Crap A Perk? or pondered the pluses and minuses of Key Performance Indicators.

When I wasn't obsessing over work, chances are I was watching TV, and possibly blogging about Heroes or Lost, two of the best ways to spend an hour each week!

Of the many new short stories I've included on this site, I'd have to say that Skipped was my favourite, if for no other reason than it was the most elaborate and took me the longest to write. I also really, really liked In The Zone and would like to thank Hinckley, once again, for the excellent opening sentence!

Among older, Blast from the Past-type, short stories, it's hard to top The Dice Men, as that one's always worked so well for me.

It's certainly fun to re-read Stupid Things I Know and see not only my list, but many of yours!

Having to think through my Favourite Comic Stories Of All Time, and realizing in the process that I needed to put the work of Alan Moore in a separate list so that he wouldn't completely dominate the first one, was an excellent use of my time! As was, of course, the sharing of some of my Favourite, and Least Favourite Comic Covers.

And whose cold heart didn't melt, at least a little, upon reading about The Loneliest Man On The Planet? Would it be the same person who didn't thrill to each and every promotion handed out during my rise through the Resistance: Fall of Man ranks, or whose pulse didn't quicken at the thought of my bike riding streak? I think it just might be!

Then there was the trivia! Who doesn't love trivia?

Were any lives saved by my ruminations about debt? Almost certainly not, but at least I tried!

And we know a life was lost - albeit a fictional one - as we considered The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking On The Information Superhighway and mourned the passing of a living legend.

No mourning at all was needed where my love of the New York Rangers was concerned, as they managed the only sweep in the playoffs and then did respectably-well in the 2nd Round, as reported on hereabouts, though even that couldn't hold a candle to The Day The Earth Stood Still.

And finally, I'd like to thank the faithful readers who I think have been with me for the entire ride (so far): Jimmy Hinckley, PeterJ, Man from Mars, and of course Vicki and Tammy. Without you guys, as well as the newer arrivals like Boneman, Shane and Tim, it just wouldn't be the same!

6 comments:

Mike Marsman said...

Congats on the milestone. I'd say that you need to find a hobby, but I think that you already have ;)

I've been at it (the blogging thing) for just over two years, and I'm only at a piddly 107 posts. But, I think you and I post for different reasons.

Why stop at reminiscing over your favorite posts, what about some of your favorite comments?

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

People comment???

;-)

Anonymous said...

I typically comment long enough after the original post that my comments probably go completely unnoticed.

Not once did anyone ask me exactly HOW that animal got under my car!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I get an e-mail for every comment added, so never worry that your comments go completely unnoticed! I even see when comments are added to posts from months ago, as happened with Jakub recently.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recap. Reading some of the linked posts for the first time (and in a paranoid kind of way, thinking that the 'try this you'll like it' article was directed right between my eyes.

So how is 'The Wire' season one doing?

PS - Agree with your favourite Moore rankings almost in lock step. Buutttt where are Detective Comics 467-476 in the non-Moore list? Come to think of it - where are the Starlin Warlocks? the Thomas/Adams X-men? Or dare I say it, some of the really good Bryne Xmen or FF stories?

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

The Wire Season One is waiting for us to finish Angel Season One before it can start. We just watched the next-to-penultimate Angel episode tonight (that's 3rd last, for those who aren't sure), so we should be sampling the show about those wacky wire-tappers (or whatever it is) sometime next week. Based on the "info sheets" you sent home with Vicki, I'm a little concerned it'll be a bit too... urban?... for our tastes, but we'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks again for the loaner.

As for the comic omissions you mention from the "Favourite 10 Comic Stories" list of mine... none of the ones you mention would make my Top 10 (i.e. replace any of the ones I thought of) but most would probably fall within my Top 25. It's funny how much the Englehart/Rogers Detective run has dropped in my estimation following the more recent series they did... not off the radar, by any means, but certainly down several notches. The Adams issues of X-Men were awesome, but can't hold a candle to the Avengers run of his. You should share with us your Top 10...